[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Tue Feb 9 19:33:36 PST 1999

On Feb 10, 1999, Alex Nicolaou <anicolao at mud.cgl.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> Classpath is LGPL, so we're free to merge it in, by making it GPLed or
>> not.

> This is false. As I said in my other post, if you distribute Classpath
> and Kaffe together you are required to use clause (3) of the LGPL to
> convert your distribution of Classpath to GPL.

Then how come it is fine to use public domain or XFree-like-licensed
code in a GPLed program?  These license are both more permissive than
GPL, as is LGPL, so there isn't be any problem in using them in a
GPLed program, because it is possible to freely distribute their
source code.  Item 2b implies that the derived work must be licensed
``as a whole under the GPL'', but I understand that parts of it may
have been released under more permissive licenses (which does not
include the BSD license, because of the advertisement clause)

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}