[Kaffe] can the classpath project be used with Kaffe.

Jules Bean jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 10 00:49:58 PST 1999

On 10 Feb 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> Hi again :-)

Hiya.  here's hoping we can agree about this, unlike that libtool thing ;)

> On Feb 10, 1999, Jules Bean <jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > I develop a commercial app, built against the standard Java API.  I
> > develop it on my Linux machine using Kaffe and some compiler (pizza,
> > maybe, but it doesn't matter).  The resultant java class files are, IMO,
> > utterly 'untainted' by the GPL.  The reason I claim this is that they have
> > been built against a standard API, which is not licensed at all.  My class
> > files will run equally well with Klasses.jar, classpath, and the sun JDK
> > (modulo bugs in those respective implementations!).
>
> The important point here is the `modulo bugs'.  If your program will
> only work with Kaffe Klasses, for whatever reason, one could argue
> that your code should be GPLed.

One could argue that, yes.

It boils down to whether it was a 'derived work'.  At the end of the day,
that's not a perfectly objective fact, so some judgement has to be used.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules at jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd	       |
|  Jules aka     | jules at debian.org              |  Richmond, Surrey   |
|  Julian Bean   | jmlb2 at hermes.cam.ac.uk        |  TW9 2TF *UK*       |