memory defragmentation

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Feb 16 12:43:51 PST 1999

There's this TR, though to my knowledge it does not address external
fragmentation.

	- Godmar

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/TRs/TRCS98-33.html
A Study of the Allocation Behavior of the SPECjvm98 Java Benchmarks

Sylvia Dieckmann and Urs Hölzle
 Abstract: We present an analysis of the memory usage for six of the Java
programs in the SPECjvm98 benchmark suite. Most of the programs are
real-world applications with high demands on the memory system. For each
program, we measured as much low level data as possible, including age
and size distribution, type distribution, thread-local objects, and the
overhead of object alignment. Among other things, we found that non-pointer
data usually represents more than 50% of the allocated space for instance
objects, that Java objects are fairly small, and that a large fraction
of objects is never accessible outside the thread that allocated it.