[Kaffe] ease of use patch.

Moses DeJong dejong at cs.umn.edu
Wed Feb 24 02:35:52 PST 1999

On 24 Feb 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On Feb 24, 1999, Moses DeJong <dejong at cs.umn.edu> wrote:
>
> > (after patch)
>
> > % kaffe ReflectedFloatBug1.java
> > You probably meant ReflectedFloatBug1
>
> What if I create a class named mypackage.java?
>
> The suggestion should only be printed if it actually fails, but I
> don't know how to accomplish that.  But for .class it can be done,
> because it's not legal to have a class named class.
>
> --
> Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}
> oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}
> Instituto de Computação, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, SP, Brasil

It is not legal to have a class named java.

// File java.java

package pkg1;

public class java {
  public static void main(String[] argv) {
    System.out.println("java ran");
  }
}

Compiling with Sun's javac produces an error.

% javac java.java
java.java:3: Cyclic class inheritance or scoping.
public class java {
             ^
java.java:3: Superclass pkg1.java. lang.Object of class pkg1.java not found.
public class java {
             ^
2 errors

Pizza does not raise and error but it should.

Mo DeJong
dejong at cs.umn.edu