[Kaffe] bug in javac! (it ignores the -classpath argument)

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Sat Jan 30 19:33:30 PST 1999

> The javac program in the kaffe bin directory seems to ignore the
> -classpath argument. If the -classpath argument is given then
> the CLASSPATH env var should not be used during the compile.

No, that's not how it works.
The -classpath argument to javac is different from the -classpath
argument given to java.

The -classpath argument to javac only determines where javac looks for
.class files which it needs to compile .java files.

It will still use CLASSPATH to determine the location from which to
read its own code.

As an aside, both options can be combined, as in

    java -classpath A sun.tools.javac.Main -classpath B

Here, A is the setting that overrides CLASSPATH; but B does not.

Kaffe's behavior is correct, and fortunately we finally got around to
having kaffe print this nice and informative error message :-)

	- Godmar