portability questions

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Mon Jan 11 11:20:16 PST 1999

On Jan 11, 1999, Mihai Surdeanu <mihai at seas.smu.edu> wrote:

> On 10 Jan 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

>> This is part of the AC_PATH_XTRA autoconf macro.  I don't understand
>> why it's breaking on you.  Can you get more details, maybe from
>> config.log?

> I'm attaching the config.log file to this message.

It stops just when it starts checking for X.  Not very useful :-(

Anyway, I found out that I had completely broken X with the adoption
of AC_PATH_XTRA.  It should be fixed by now.

> Another weird thing: tar fails for SOME files when untaring the snapshot
> if I'm using the SunOS and works fine if I'm using an alpha machine.

Which tar are you using on SunOS?  There's a standard limitation of
100 characters in the maximum file name that tar can handle.  GNU tar
uses one convention to extend this length, and SunOS's does not
understand it.  This may explain the failure.

--
Alexandre Oliva  http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva  aoliva@{acm.org}
oliva@{dcc.unicamp.br,gnu.org,egcs.cygnus.com,samba.org}