Error msg "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main"

Maksim Lin maksim at swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 14 15:30:56 PST 1999

"loh york hong, brennon" wrote:

> hi all,
> I have installed kaffe (v1.0.b3-3 from Trnsvirtual site) onto my
> Pentium running Linux (RedHat v5.2)
>
> everytime I compile (no problem) and run my Java applications
> I encounter these error messages, pls help
>
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: main
>     at java/lang/Throwable.<init>(37)
>     at java/lang/Error.<init>(21)
>     at java/lang/LinkageError.<init>(21)
>     at java/lang/IncompatibleClassChangeError.<init>(21)
>     at java/lang/NoSuchMethodError.<init>(21)

Did you recently go from one of the pre-automake kaffe versions to the
recent ones ? It's just that that was exactly the error that I got when
I accidently built & installed the newest version of kaffe (from cvs)
but forgot to delete my previous Kaffe executable, hope that helps.

Incidently, as of 2 days ago the cvs version did not install the Kaffe
executable in right place, eg. it's expected to be in /usr/local/libexec
directory now not in /usr/local/bin as before (I guess this has to do
with GNU coding standards with using automake) but the install scripts
don't put it there and if you are as stupid as me, you don't notice that
you still have an old Kaffe exe in /usr/local/bin and simply copy it
into the libexec directory and bingo you get the error message above.

Moral of Story: Always keep an eye on the date of your files :-)

Maksim.