hash tables & multi-threading

Alex Nicolaou anicolao at mud.cgl.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 15 19:02:27 PST 1999

Two suggestions for the list's consideration.

I think the default hash table size should be very small during
debugging builds of Kaffe - this will give the hash table code a better
workout and shake out bugs that only occur when the table is resizing.

Secondly, it seems to me that the hash table entry points aren't
threadsafe, and
each place where a hash table is used a static mutex is allocated to
control
access to that hash table. Why not put the mutex in the hash table
structure itself, and provide entry points hashLock() and hashUnlock()
that need to be called before calling into the other entry points? Or
perhaps make the underlying code threadsafe?

alex