hash tables & multi-threading

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Sun Jan 17 11:15:49 PST 1999

Alex, you are right that we shouldn't test everytime whether the
static locks are initialized, but move their initialization in an init
function instead.

However, it turned out to be better to leave the table single-threaded
and put the responsibility for locking on the caller.  The reason
is that these hashtable aren't general purpose anyway --- they're used
for strings and utf8consts.  For the latter, we have to protect the
ref counts for the utf8const, so it's more practical to protect utf8
ops as a whole.  For strings, the problem is that resizing the table
may cause a gc, and the gc now synchronously uninterns strings before
freeing them.  This requires the hashtable not be locked.  Again,
it seemed better to not concern the hashtable with locking.

For these reasons, it was better to define the hashtable as being
single-threaded and move the responsibility for locking to the caller.

Also, storing the lock in the hashtable structure, as you suggest makes
less sense to me than declaring (by name) what the particular locks are
really supposed to protect, namely string or utf8const operations.

As for the fragility of the code, whether or not you store the lock
in the table and have the caller of an hashtable operation take responsibility
for invoking hash.lock before and hash.unlock after invoking, say hash.add
OR whether you allow the caller to name the lock doesn't make any difference
in my eyes.

I also don't fully understand your point about making the hashtable
code thread-safe.
If you mean to use non-blocking synchronization that doesn't require locks
at all, then please, implement it and submit the patches --- but if you
mean to introduce redundant internal locking, I'd reject it because
a) it's unnecessary and a run-time overhead and b) it doesn't work for
strings because of the gc reentrancy problem.

	- Godmar