Compiler issue...

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jan 26 08:44:18 PST 1999

> Hi,
>
>   i'm using a non-GNU compiler to compile kaffe code and obviously it
> complains when it finds code using GNU extensions to C, like
> arithmetic on void pointers, arrays of length zero
> etc.

Edouard just submitted a patch to get rid of the double align[] thing.
It's been applied.

Hmmm, I didn't know that arithmetic on void pointers was a GNU extension,
but we would of course welcome fixes to avoid such dependencies.  [1]

As Pavel pointed out, as far as the asm constructs are concerned, you'll
probably have to write them in pure assembly.  Since many versions of
gcc are broken in this respect, relying on gcc is highly fragile anyway.
For instance, the fact the %ebx is fixed for x86 pic code and hence must
be saved and restored when it's marked as trashed is silently ignored
by gcc.  As a result, things broke.  This is fixed in recent versions
of egcs, though.  In kaffe, we used a different register in %ebx's place.

I don't know what the current status of the build environment is,
i.e., whether it will work without a GNU compiler at all.

	- Godmar

[1] This is how they'll get you.  You start using them because you
think it's okay, and then you get bitten.  Kind of like Microsoft
and its delegates.  Just kidding.