Compiler issue...

Jason Baker jbaker at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jan 26 14:33:32 PST 1999

> Actually, I would suggest hiding the [0] arrays behind a macro called
> ALIGNMENT(), as this would hide the GNU-ism and make it easier to fix
> under other compilers (which might provide pragmas or somesuch for
> defining the alignment of a structure).

Can you put a pragma inside a macro?  I didn't think you could put a
#include inside a macro.

Jason
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         From kaffe-owner at rpmfind.net  Wed Jan 27 10:45:05 1999
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 18:44:12 +0300 (EET)
From: Pavel Roskin <pavel_roskin at geocities.com>
To: kaffe at rufus.w3.org
Subject: Re: Compiler issue...
Sender: owner-kaffe at rufus.w3.org

Hello!

> Perhaps it is worth considering gcc -ansi -pedantic as the standard
> command line options for gcc. Some of these problems would be minimized.

I would prefer
$(CC) -D_GNU_SOURCE -ansi -pedantic

Please note, that glibc doesn't declare some symbols when _GNU_SOURCE is
not declared, which is the case when -ansi option is given to gcc.
I know several projects which suffer from such "pedantism", notably PAM
(pluggable authentication modules), which contains dozens of __USE_BSD,
__POSIX_SOURCE and even "#include <features.h>" in random places.

IMHO, Kaffe may and should use available features and extensions, even not
described in the ANSI and ISO standards.

Pavel Roskin.