Inflater.c bug?

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Wed Jan 27 10:52:39 PST 1999

pra at mint.se writes:
> >> I have problems using GZIPInputStream. I always get an error message
> >> like this:
> >> java.lang.Error: oversubscribed dynamic bit lengths tree
> >>         at java/util/zip/InflaterInputStream.read(72)
> >>         at java/util/zip/GZIPInputStream.read(78)
> >>         at java/io/InputStreamReader.read(53)
> >>         at java/io/BufferedReader.refillBuffer(164)
> >>         at java/io/BufferedReader.readLine(130)
> >>         at TestIo.main(line unknown, pc 0x83e812d)

Could you try the following test? I'm wondering if it's a compression
problem or possibly a problem with BufferedInputStream..

For example, this "gunzip" program works fine for me on
several different test files...

    $ cat > gunzip.java

    import java.io.*;
    import java.util.zip.*;
    public class gunzip {
		    int ch;

		    Reader r = new InputStreamReader(
			    new GZIPInputStream(System.in));
		    while ((ch = r.read()) != -1)
			    System.out.print((char) ch);
		    System.out.flush();
	    }
    }
    ^D
    $ jikes -nowarn gunzip.java
    $ gzip < gunzip.java | kaffe gunzip | diff -q gunzip.java -
    $ gzip < /etc/termcap | kaffe gunzip | diff -q /etc/termcap -
    $ gzip --best < /kernel | kaffe gunzip | diff -q /kernel -
    $ gzip --fast < /kernel | kaffe gunzip | diff -q /kernel -

Try it with some of your input files..

-Archie