[Kaffe] another bug in java.io.File

Moses DeJong dejong at cs.umn.edu
Thu Jan 28 20:00:39 PST 1999

Hi all.

I ran into another problem with the java.io.File class. It seems like
the File.getCanonicalPath() method is broken. It should remove a ".."
in a directory path but it seem to do nothing. Does anyone know how
I could fix this problem? I have included a short example to show
how it differs from the JDK. It seems like the getCanonicalPath() is
going to need a native implementation so that it correctly deals with
symlinks n stuff.

import java.io.*;

public class CDTest {
    public static void main(String[] argv) {
	File pwd = new File("..");
	try {
	    pwd = new File(pwd.getCanonicalPath());
	} catch (IOException e) {
	    System.out.println("getCanonicalPath() raised " + e.getMessage());
	}

	System.out.println("PWD is \"" + pwd + "\"");
     }
}

/*

JDK output