Kaffe and Status

Duncan W. McQueen mcqueen at worldinter.net
Wed Jul 14 16:07:19 PDT 1999

Greetings!  I am sorry to have bothered the list, but a few things have
bothered me recently about Kaffe.   I am working on the BeKaffe project
(http://bekaffe.netpedia.net), which is an effort to fully port Kaffe
to BeOS.    We have a few concerns though, mostly along these lines:

1).  What is the status in CVS of Kaffe's current JDK 1.1 or 1.2
compliance?  Has anyone run the Mauve test-suite against it?  I know
Kaffe  contributed to Mauve, but I see no test results on the site.  We
are working on adding some functionality (java.security), how easy is
it to get these committed to CVS?  Can we use Classpath as a reference
for implementing som e of these new functions?

2).  What is the performance of the JIT compiler?    Has any work been
done on providing more optimizations?  How about a better garbage
collector?  How about a more efficient implementation of deciding when
to compile and interpret code in the JIT (HotSPot I guess addressed
this).

3).  Has any work been done on the precompilation of its run-time
libraries?  Any more integration with gcj?

4).  Is Kaffe's synchronization system being optimized?

5).  What about replacing pizza with Jikes (I know, this isn't
necessary, but pizza is sooo slow).

6).  Anyone working on an OJI interface (Mozilla) or ever created a
Netscape style plug-in for using Kaffe as the JVM behind Netscape?

I know these are a few questions, but Kaffe is the only option we have
on BeOS for Java currently, and my project wants to develop a solid,
fast, highly efficient, complete Java runtime for BeOS (And Development
Environment as well)

Thanks for all your help,

Duncan McQueen
BeKaffe - Brining Java to BeOS