Please point out my stupidity! (Newbie question)

Gerard Hickey Gerard.Hickey at nsc.com
Sat Jun 12 19:47:09 PDT 1999

I have been working on this problem for a week or so now with no real
success. I have successfully compiled kaffe-1.0b4 and installed it. I
even did a 'make check' to see if there were any problems detected.
Everything seemed to check out just fine.

When I try to compile and run even the simplest java code, it bombs out.

[11:0] hickey at morril:~sources/kaffe-1.0.b4/test/regression
%> javac Hello.java
(22:36)
[12:0] hickey at morril:~sources/kaffe-1.0.b4/test/regression
%> java Hello.class
(22:37)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Hello/class
        at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:40)
        at java.lang.Error.<init>(Error.java:21)
        at java.lang.LinkageError.<init>(LinkageError.java:21)
        at
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError.<init>(NoClassDefFoundError.java:21)

I have looked around all over the place and could not find any pointers
to the problem that I am experiencing.

I tried playing with the CLASSPATH variable and it seemed to confirm
that it is set properly.

At this point I am at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks....
--
Gerard Hickey                             email: Gerard.Hickey at nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation        phone: +1 207 541 6101