Kaffe's MS-Extensions Will Hurt Java

Anthony Kimball alk at pobox.com
Tue Jun 29 12:42:58 PDT 1999

Quoth Godmar Back on Mon, 28 June:
: I believe that MS's solution to the problem is certainly
: within the spectrum of what I would consider acceptable engineering
: compromise, and therefore that the issue at stake is purely political.

This just proves that what is clearly technical to one person is
purely political to another, suitably motivated, person.  I do not
regard MS's solution as being within the pale.  To add new types to a
source language in order to make it easier to optimize object code is
*way* out there, from my point of view.

: > The broader issue of why any and all MS extensions are worse is a
: > political issue.  The extensions are designed with the express
: > intention of preventing Java code from being portable across operating
: > systems.
:
: While it is true that this is Microsoft's strategy in many cases,
: this is obviously not the case here.  This is not to say that this
: isn't Microsoft's intention here, but consider that Java code using
: their extensions would still be portable if Transvirtual did put it
: in kaffe.

If I can't predict whether Java code will run on my JVM or not, then
the whole Java enterprise has turned to dreck.  That's good for MS.
It's bad for mankind.  Whether it is good or bad for Sun, I could care
less.  Frankly, I think Sun is on the side of mankind on this
micro-issue.  I know it isn't always, but even a broken clock is right
twice a day.