Kaffe when blackdown in on.

Alexandre Oliva oliva at dcc.unicamp.br
Sun May 16 19:23:10 PDT 1999

On May  1, 1999, Alex Turner <musicmaker at aspects.net> wrote:

> On 29 Apr 1999, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Apr 28, 1999, Alex Turner <musicmaker at aspects.net> wrote:
>>
>> > I am having some trouble under RH5.2.  Once I've put blackdown on the
>> > system, kaffe refuses to run, and simply segfaults.  Even the compiler
>> > wont go!

>> Check your CLASSPATH.

> How exactly does that help me?

> Kaffe is executing, but it just segfaults.  How does my CLASSPATH affect
> this?

Different CLASSPATHs may result in different offsets for fields of
some low-level system classes.  Kaffe pre-1.0.b4 wouldn't check
whether it's using the appropriate bootstrap classes, and would simply
crash.  Newer releases do check that, and try to flag an incorrect
CLASSPATH.

--
Alexandre Oliva http://www.dcc.unicamp.br/~oliva IC-Unicamp, Bra[sz]il
{oliva,Alexandre.Oliva}@dcc.unicamp.br  aoliva@{acm.org,computer.org}