Startup problem on ARM

Stefan Hellkvist d93-sth at nada.kth.se
Wed Nov 24 13:06:01 PST 1999

Hi

My name is Stefan and I'm trying to get kaffe 1.0.5 working on a
Netwinder (ARM-linux). I'm using the debian disk image (small
image with kernel 2.2.10). I built Kaffe without the JIT and it built ok but
when I run a simple Hello world program it crashes in the startup
process like this:

$ java Hello
Internal error: caught an unexpected exception.
Please check your CLASSPATH and your installation.
java/lang/NullPointerException
        at kaffe.lang.SystemClassLoader.findResources(SystemClassLoader.java:46)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResources(ClassLoader.java:172)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResource(ClassLoader.java:149)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.getResourceAsStream(ClassLoader.java:199)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.getSystemResourceAsStream(ClassLoader.java:211)
        at java.lang.System.<clinit>(System.java:49)
        at java.lang.ThreadGroup.add(ThreadGroup.java:86)
Aborted

The program is just the obvious:

public class Hello
{
   public static void main( String[] argv )
   {
      System.out.println( "Hello world!" );
   }
}

The problem is idependent of the actual program beeing run. Javac
fails the same way.

Has anyone experienced similar problems on an ARM-linux platform or
does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

I've checked the startup scripts and the CLASSPATH seems ok when
it executes the binary and all the jar-files are there and everything.
Line 46 in SystemClassloader tries to get the file.separator property,
and somehow this fails. I don't know why.

/Stefan