newbie classpath problem

Frank Morton fmorton at base2inc.com
Wed Sep 8 07:42:59 PDT 1999

I'm a kaffe newbie, so take it easy on me.

My objective is to run servlets, so any clues on the status
of the javax.servlet.* stuff would be appreciated.

Here is my immediate problem...

I am running this on a freshly installed Red Hat 6.0 intel system.
I grabbed 1.0b4 and installed and all went well.

I have a file containing lots of classes named Kit.jar. It contains
a number of classes containing "main" to run from the command
line. If I define Kit.jar in my $CLASSPATH environment, executing
"java KitNew" returns with a class not found exception. However,
if I execute:

java -v -classpath
"/usr/local/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar:/usr/local/share/kaffe/comm.jar:
/usr/local/share/kaffe/pizza.jar:/usr/local/share/kaffe/pjava.jar:
/usr/local/share/kaffe/servlet.jar:/usr/local/kit/bin/classes/postgresql.jar
:
/usr/local/kit/bin/classes/Kit.jar:." KitNew

Where the classpath contents is cut and pasted from my .bashrc
file, all works ok. What am I missing here?

On another subject, I grabbed the latest snapshot yesterday to see if this
has already been fixed (assuming I am not totally missing
something), but received the following error when running "make":

make[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/local/kit/Software/kaffe/kaffe-cvs-19990907/kaffe/kaffeh'
source='inflate.c' object='inflate.o' @AMDEPBACKSLASH@
/bin/sh: @AMDEPBACKSLASH@: command not found
make[2]: *** [inflate.o] Error 127
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/kit/Software/kaffe/kaffe-cvs-19990907/kaffe/kaffeh'
make[1]: *** [stamp-h0all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/local/kit/Software/kaffe/kaffe-cvs-19990907/include'

Help here would be appreciated also.

TIA

Frank Morton
fmorton at base2inc.com