Problem with StringBuffer

Tatu Saloranta tatu at hypermall.net
Tue Apr 4 20:07:48 PDT 2000

Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Tatu Saloranta writes:
> >
> > Then again as there already is a patch that should save space (even if
> > StringBuffer is used just once), I'm a happy camper. :-)
>
> Tatu-
> Aside from the theoretical debate, I'd be interested to hear if
> the recent checkin's alleviate the problem you're seeing. Patches
> are included below in case you don't have the latest CVS.
>
> Thanks,
> -Archie

I updated to latest CVS-sources and yes, the problem went away. The
memory footprint is now almost identical to the case where I just
create a new StringBuffer every time. The memory usage is still bit
high (kaffe seems to use almost twice as much memory as jdk11.8, but
the application is bit memory hungry in any case), but at least it's
not exponentially growing. Besides, it's nice that kaffe is
significantly
faster than vanilla Blackdown JDK in this case.

-+ Tatu +-