A Ksem question [Was: Re: changes to thread locking layer]

alanlb at rrinc.com alanlb at rrinc.com
Mon Apr 10 11:37:53 PDT 2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Patrick Tullmann wrote:

| One downside to this patch is that the beos-native thread port and the
| win32 thread ports get even farther out of date.  Though, I belive
| things should be much simpler for the beos port (as it has native
| semaphore support).
|
| Please let me know if there are any problems with the patch.

I've made the modifications to the beos-native threading system to
use Ksems instead, using a simple mapping to native semaphores.

Although I've managed to pass most of the regression tests, I've noticed
that the ThreadState test program, among others, gets hopelessly
deadlocked because the main thread attempts to acquire a lock it already
holds.  I haven't made my Ksem implementation recursive, because FAQ.locks
states that they don't have to be so.  Is this statement still true?

Alan