OT: Classpath was Re: General question

Stuart Ballard sballard at netreach.net
Tue Apr 11 08:52:57 PDT 2000

Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

> Thanks a lot for the answer.
> Other: What's te status of classpath.org ? No news since along time, now.

You should really ask this on the classpath list, but here's my take on
it (I follow the list but I haven't been closely involved with the
project for a couple of years now)

There has been a *lot* of work done since the 0.00 release, but for some
reason there seems to be some reluctance to put out a 0.01 release. I
think that's a big part of the reason why the project seems so dead.

However, the project is definitely not dead - just recently a merge was
announced with libgcj which presumably means that some cygnus fulltimers
will be working on classpath. And like I said, the current CVS code is
*way* beyond what was there in 0.00.

There are still substantial holes (I believe there is some AWT code
there but the last I heard, which was a long time ago, it wasn't
actually working) and it's relatively untested because nobody would use
it in production yet. However, most of the work that *is* done is to the
1.2 standard, which (I believe) is not the case with kaffe.

I've never understood why the classpath and kaffe teams never decided to
pool their resources. The only difference seems to be copyright
(classpath is (c)FSF, and kaffe is mostly transvirtual with no
requirement to transfer) and license (LGPL vs GPL). Neither of those
sound like they should be a big problem... but somehow it seems to be.

That's just my perspective, as an "outsider" watching both projects.

Stuart.