More files to ignore

Edouard G. Parmelan Edouard.Parmelan at quadratec.fr
Tue Apr 25 09:20:05 PDT 2000

Ganesh Sivaraman wrote:

> C:\WINDOWS\Desktop>cvs -d :pserver:readonly at cvs.kaffe.org:/cvs/kaffe login
> (Logging in to readonly at cvs.kaffe.org)
> CVS.EXE [login aborted]: could not find out home directory

CVS save pserver password in file .cvspass in your home directory.
Under Un*x it's variable $HOME, Under Win* it' variable %HOME% or
variables %HOMEDRIVE% and %HOMEPATH%.

Quotting from cvs sources:

/* NT has two evironment variables, HOMEPATH and HOMEDRIVE, which,
   when combined as ${HOMEDRIVE}${HOMEPATH}, give the unix equivalent
   of HOME.  Some NT users are just too unixy, though, and set the
   HOME variable themselves.  Therefore, we check for HOME first, and
   then try to combine the other two if that fails.

   Looking for HOME strikes me as bogus, particularly if the only reason
   is to cater to "unixy users".  On the other hand, if the reasoning is
   there should be a single variable, rather than requiring people to
   set both HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH, then it starts to make a little more
   sense.

   Win95: The system doesn't set HOME, HOMEDRIVE, or HOMEPATH (at
   least if you set it up as the "all users under one user ID" or
   whatever the name of that option is).  Based on thing overheard on
   the net, it seems that users of the pserver client have gotten in
   the habit of setting HOME (if you don't use pserver, you can
   probably get away without having a reasonable return from
   get_homedir.  Of course you lose .cvsrc and .cvsignore, but many
   users won't notice).  So it would seem that we should be somewhat
   careful if we try to change the current behavior.

   NT 3.51 or NT 4.0: I haven't checked this myself, but I am told
   that HOME gets set, but not to the user's home directory.  It is
   said to be set to c:\users\default by default.  */

Hope this helps.
--
Edouard G. Parmelan
http://egp.free.fr