large Class.forName() patch

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Feb 8 11:31:18 PST 2000

Just to make this clear.  I don't plan on doing anything.
I'm just throwing out ideas here.  But if I implemented it, I think
I would use such a flag to special-case regular strings.

Artur's numbers seem useful.  However, as you say, a full investigation
would be needed to quantify the benefits gained from a utf8-based
implementation.

> > If somebody
> > implements full String/StringBuffer class using utf8 we could perform
> > some real tests
>
> I guess you mean full String using UCS2 (2 bytes per character)?  A UTF8
> implementation is what is there now.

No, the current implementation uses only 2 bytes per character strings
for all java.lang.String objects.

Internally, we store some information as utf8s, but I think this discussion
was about how to best implement java.lang.String.

	- Godmar