Problems building Kaffe 1.0.5 on Irix 6.5

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Wed Feb 16 12:34:47 PST 2000

On Feb 16, 2000, "Bishop, Michael M" <Michael.M.Bishop at USAHQ.UnitedSpaceAlliance.com> wrote:

> While compiling kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/funcs.c, I received several messages
> stating that NR_ARGUMENTS and NR_REGISTERS were undeclared.

Yep, I've observed that too.  I'm not sure the jit3 is supposed to
work on IRIX, particularly IRIX 6.  Meanwhile, I've been using
--with-engine=intrp.

> The assembler being used is /usr/bin/as.  I can't
> use the GNU assembler because it doesn't accept the -n32 argument.

Maybe there's some -mgnu-as flag that would allow you to tell GCC that
the assembler to be used is GNU as.  If there isn't, you'd have to
configure and rebuild *gcc* --with-gnu-as.

Another option is to write a wrapper script called `as', that removes
the `-n32' switch from the command line and calls GNU as.  You'd have
to point gcc to it with -B/the/directory/that/contains/ the script
(note trailing slash!)

--
Alexandre Oliva     http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/     Enjoy Guaraná
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com