Green Thread vs. Non Green Thread?

Alan Lehotsky lehotsky at tiac.net
Wed Jan 12 04:03:40 PST 2000

At 22:48 -0500 1/11/00, BWinders wrote:
>I've been doing some research and I have come across the term "Green
>Thread" in reference to JVMs.  If I have an application that uses
>threads, can anyone tell me how to check to determine if I need a JVM
>with support for Green Threads or not?
>
>Thanks!

	I'm not sure of the entomology of the phrase, but it refers
	to lightweight threads managed by the JVM itself and not
	mapped onto multiple operating-system threads.

	Thus, a "green threaded" JVM can't take advantage of
	multiprocessors and is also potentially subject to hanging
	if a native method should happen to execute a blocking
	system call (of course that all depends on how the JVM
	multiplexes its threads)

		    Quality Software Management
		http://www.tiac.net/users/lehotsky
			lehotsky at tiac.net
			(978)287-0435 Voice
			(978)808-6836 Cellular
			(978)287-0436 Fax/Data

	Software Process Improvement and Management Consulting
	     Language Design and Compiler Implementation