large Class.forName() patch

Archie Cobbs archie at whistle.com
Sun Jan 30 21:44:13 PST 2000

Mo DeJong writes:
> I have been working on getting Class.forName() working more like
> the Sun JDK and I have a patch that I would like to get some comments

I don't understand this comment:

+       /* This is kind of strange, but Sun's implementation
+          does not allow lookups like Class.forName("int"),
+          so if this is a primitive type, we just pretend
+          it could not be found. It would be handy to load
+          "int" or "char" by name, but oh well */

Why would a JVM be expected to recognize a Java language keyword?
As far as the JVM is concerned, Java is just one of many higher
level languages that are capable of being compiled to bytecode
(or am I misreading something, this was just a quick take).

-Archie