Another reflection bug; compatibility results

Edouard G. Parmelan Edouard.Parmelan at quadratec.fr
Wed Jun 14 09:27:27 PDT 2000

Stuart Ballard wrote:

> > Raw idea:  Did you think it's possible to use a ClassLoader to load
> > jdk1.1 classes and an other to load Kaffe (or GNU Classpath) classes ?
>
> Yes, but URLClassLoader is 1.2 only and I'm using 1.1 primarily. I could
> write a ClassLoader from scratch, but that sounds hard! Also, I'm not
> sure that I want to know what would happen if I tried to load
> java.lang.Object from a classloader, and there are issues with native
> code; I can only imagine what would happen if I tried to load Kaffe's
> java.lang.Object onto the JDK with its native code intact...

For now, Japize does not extrate final values (or I missing something)
so with method Class.forName(String name, boolean initialize, ClassLoader
loader) [yes it's 1.2] <clinit> is never called, so no native code :-)

> > If so, you could have a one pass comparison framework.
>
> Originally it bothered me that I couldn't provide that, but now I'm
> beginning to think that this way is better. After all, I can distribute
> a ~1Mb jdk11.japi file and save all my users downloading the full ~8Mb
> of JDK1.1 (the gains for 1.2 and 1.3 are presumably bigger still); it
> also makes it possible to run testing on a machine containing only free
> software, so long as you have a copy of the japi file generated by
> JDK1.1.

You'r right, ~1Mb is better.

> I do have a slight twinge of regret that as things stand now I can't
> ever produce a jdk10.japi...

I will try to write a small ClassLoader to use with Kaffe to generate
jdk10.japi.
--
Edouard G. Parmelan
http://egp.free.fr