About sound support..

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Jun 27 13:34:31 PDT 2000

Note that there's nothing in Kaffe that prevents you from directly
accessing an OSS device in default mode.  Similarly, you can easily
implement the equivalent of "cat file.au > /dev/audio" in Java.
If you write a small JNI library, you can also export the OSS ioctl()'s
to Java.  It's really just a few hundred lines of Java/C code, really
straightforward.
Parsing simple .WAV files and extracting PCM encoded music is also easy;
just download the doc from M$ and it's also just a few lines of code.
Plus, keep in mind that you always have the option of using Runtime.exec()
to fire off an external player to play MP3 and the like.    This is of course
not really (Java-)portable, but may work on your system.

	- Godmar