Problem finding libraries (an attempt at OJI for Kaffe/Mozilla)...

James ketrenoj at austin.rr.com
Thu Jun 29 14:04:41 PDT 2000

This is probably a simple problem to solve, but I'm new to Kaffe.

I have the Kaffe JVM v1.0.5 running on Linux 2.2.15.  I have been tinkering with creating an OJI plugin for Mozilla (M16) that supports Kaffe.  To see some signs of life, I wrote a small stand alone program that takes an URL, instantiates the JVM, obtains an AppletViewer class and provides the URL to that class.  It works great, and displays the applet in a little popup window.

To get it to run on my machine however, I have to set the following environment variable:

export KAFFELIBRARYPATH=/usr/local/lib/kaffe

Even though the Kaffe documentation says I shouldn't have to change any environment variables, I had to set the above or it complained that it could not find 'libnative'.

Now, when I modified my stand alone executable to load as a plugin in Mozilla, I get an error stating that Kaffe can't open 'io' (it throws up a big list of exceptions, with the call to load the 'io' library being the cause) when I try and call JNI_CreateJavaVM().  I scanned my system and libio.so is placed in the /usr/local/lib/kaffe.  I added that path to my ld.so.conf and reran 'ldconfig'.  My stand alone program still works great; I can't figure out why it won't run within Mozilla.

Any ideas?  Is anyone else (or has anyone else) done any work on an OJI plugin for Kaffe?

Thanks,
James Ketrenos
ketrenoj at austin.rr.com