JAR files

Godmar Back gback at cs.utah.edu
Tue Mar 21 11:39:19 PST 2000

A few of comments/statements/questions on my part:

+ The lookup in the system aka primordial classpath (as maintained in
  findInJar.c) could be done in a direct hashtable instead of repeated
  linear searches thru all files in all classpath entries.  I'm thinking
  of one hashtable for all, not one per entry in the classpath.  It would
  be acceptable to cache data here; in fact, it would probably be best to
  open the jar exclusively or map it with MAP_PRIVATE to exclude
  cache inconsistency issues as far as possible.

+ jar.c is a generic jar file implementation that must remain usable
  by java.util.ZipFile.  All semantics expected by ZipFile must be provided
  by jar.c as far as caching/hashing etc. is concerned.

+ It would be nice to "intern" jar/zip files, i.e. to recognize when identical
  ZipFile are opened multiple times and share the results.

+ The lookup in the "application class path" is implemented in java.
  It uses ZipFile etc.  The interface for this is kaffe.lang.ResourceReader.
  kaffe.lang.ClassPathReader is an implementation of it.  This is currently
  unused, but it's the basis for a 1.2-like implementation of application
  classloaders.  In this scenario, I expect that a moderately large, but
  constant number of "system" classes (java.*, kaffe.*) will be present in
  the primordial classpath.
  Application code as well as application extensions (javax.,...swing) will be
  loaded thru kaffe.lang.ClassPathReader.  For large applications, this will
  dominate the classes loaded primordially.

+ kaffe.lang.SystemClassLoader currently reimplements classpath parsing in
  findResources().  It returns an enumeration of URLs belonging to a name.
  (Question: can one name refer to more than one resource?)

  This implementation is very inefficient; it does not do any caching,
  parses the classpath every time, opens and closes all jar files
  repeatedly.  Tim noticed that in a gprof trace, which triggered his email.
  But:  it does respect changes in the java.class.path properties.
  In other words, this implementation allows one to changes java.class.path
  and thereby make more resources available when findResources is called
  the next time.
  Question: is this desired/necessary/intended?

	- Godmar