Cross-compliling for Kaffe for ARM-LINUX

Alexandre Oliva oliva at ic.unicamp.br
Wed May 24 03:06:43 PDT 2000

On May 24, 2000, Euisung Kang <e.kang at ieee.org> wrote:

> However, when I compile a java program (e.g. #javac hello.java),
> I get the following error message. I am trying to correct this problem.
> Any help?

It's not just Kaffe that must be compiled with -fPIC.  In fact, it's
alreayd compiled with -fPIC by default.  It's any other libraries that
Kaffe uses, such as zlib, gmp, etc (see FAQ/FAQ.requiredlibraries)
that must be shared libraries or at least built with -fPIC.

The alternative is to upgrade glibc to some recent release that
doesn't present this dynamic linker bug.

--
Alexandre Oliva    Enjoy Guaraná, see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company        aoliva@{redhat, cygnus}.com