What does NoClassDefFoundError mean?

Bill White bill.white at griggsinst.com
Mon Oct 23 06:19:12 PDT 2000

I'm trying to get HelloWorldApp to work using Kaffe.  I compile it
with jikes, and run "kaffe HelloWorldApp.class".  I get an exception
NoClassDefFound error.  I don't have any envariables set.  I have
  o a fairly standard, Debian potato system
  o kaffe version 1.0.5 (the latest stable Debian release) and
  o the latest stable Debian jikes (1.10).

Just for the record, I have gcj installed as well.  When I compile,
I use "jikes -classpath /usr/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar HelloWorldApp.java"
Apparently jikes doesn't come with a classes.zip file.

TIA.

P.S. I'm really interested in pocketlinux, but I thought I should get
some practice in a less hostile environment first.