SPARC problems

Nic Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Mon Oct 23 21:46:04 PDT 2000

I posted a while ago about problems with Kaffe on SPARC

I did another test (it failed) but the information might be usefull
to someone from TVT who might be trying to fix it.

I tried compiling Kaffe on the SPARC (same SPARC as before) with
pthreads.

I thought, since pthreads is supplied with glibc, that it might work.
No such luck.

Kaffe configures but doesn't make:

Here's the last line of the make process:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -o .libs/Kaffe main.o version.o
.libs/KaffeS.o -Wl,--export-dynamic  ../kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so
-L/usr/local/lib ../xprof/.libs/libkaffexprof.so -ldl -lpthread -lm
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
../kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so: undefined reference to
`jthread_enable_stop'
../kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so: undefined reference to
`jthread_stackcheck'
../kaffevm/.libs/libkaffevm.so: undefined reference to
`jthread_disable_stop'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [Kaffe] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/kaffe/kaffe/kaffe'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/kaffe/kaffe'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Here's the version of glibc I'm using:

  2.1.3-10.0.2

Hope someone can fix this eventually... otherwise I've got this SPARC
box sitting around doing nothing (there seems to be quite a lot of
Linux stuff won't run on it...)

BTW if anyone wants to log onto this box to poke around I'd be happy
to set them up with an account.

I'm going to try to get Kaffe 1.0.5 working and un-regress the Java
lib to current (never know... it might work!).

Nic