jar tool bug

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Fri Oct 27 15:16:08 PDT 2000

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Sun is wrong :-) A valid manifest file always starts with
>
>   Manifest-Version: 1.0
>
> But we should probably be compatible I guess.

Ah.  Perhaps a better option than being bug-compatible is to throw an
JarException with a better message than "premature EOF, line 1"?

I checked jdk 1.1.7 and 1.2 (don't have a 1.3 around).  Both accept
empty manifest files.  Also, 1.2 at least throws an error for
garbage-laden manifest files (1.1.7 silently accepts them...).

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
	   "I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize." -- S. Wright