Displaying Japanese in my applet

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf at epkowa.co.jp
Thu Sep 28 00:26:57 PDT 2000

Hi,

I have an applet that displays some labels in Japanese.  No, I don't!!
But it is what I would it like to do.  I'd appreciate any hints on how
to get this done with kaffe-1.0.6.

  *Background info*

The source contains the Japanese bits in iso-2022-jp.  It is converted
with native2ascii and compiled with javac both from the Blackdown port
of jdk-1.1.8.  All this works just fine.  I've also successfully tried
compilation with kjc, but the results are the same.

The applet runs OK from appletviewer apart from displaying the labels.
All I get is ... well nothing really.  The English labels show up OK.
Running with Blackdown's appletviewer I get a bunch of `o's in all the
labels and gibberish in text fields.  BTW, using kaffe's appletviewer,
the text fields are also empty.  I've also tried various browsers; all
but MSIE displayed gibberish.  The world can't be that bad, can it :-)

Oh, yes I have Japanese fonts installed and X11 applications have no
trouble finding them.

Any ideas?
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development