problems with kaffe on mips

Mark and Janice Juszczec kaffe@rufus.w3.org
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:12:42 +0000

Hello everyone

I installed the binaries from
www.kaffe.org/ftp/pub/kaffe/binaries/linux/kaffe-1.0.5-6.mips.rpm on my
pda.

The kerenl is:
# uname -a
Linux (none) 2.4.0-test1-ac22 #12 Thu Oct 4 15:59:00 PDT 2001 mips unknown

I took out the stuff in /usr/bin/kaffe that busybox doesn't support (sed and
a few others) and added some debugging info to make sure I didn't screw up
the CLASSPATH et al.

I'm trying to execute /usr/share/kaffe/Test.class which was compiled
with jikes v1.12 on a i586 running RedHat 7.0 kernel 2.2.16-22

# ls /usr/share/kaffe
comm.jar
kjc.jar
Klasses.jar
microsoft.jar
pjava.jar
rmi.jar
servlet.jar
tools.jar
Test.class

# pwd
/
# kaffe Test
KAFFEHOME =/usr
building classpath
adding .
adding /usr/share/kaffe/Klasses.jar
adding /usr/share/kaffe/comm.jar
adding /usr/share/kaffe/pjava.jar
adding  /usr/share/kaffe/servlet.jar
adding  /usr/share/kaffe/tools.jar
adding  /usr/share/kaffe/microsoft.jar
adding  /usr/share/kaffe/kjc.jar
adding  /usr/share/kaffe/rmi.jar
KAFFELIBRARYPATH =  /usr/lib:/usr/lib/kaffe
LD_LIBRARY_PATH =  /lib:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/kaffe
PATH =  /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/lib
/usr/lib/kaffe/bin/Kaffe Test

Couldn't find or load essential class `java/lang/Object'
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError java/lang/Object

I unzip -l Klasses.jar and see the Object.class is present.  When I run
kaffe Test on the i586 with the jar's that go on the pda, I get the correct
output.  I've attached Test.java just in case anyone wants to take a look.

After ruling out the simple stuff, I think the problem might be caused by a
library that can't read the jar files.  Is that even a possibility?

Which library handles reading .jar files?  Is it libz or libzip?  Does
anyone know which version is the correct one for mipsel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark
juszczec@hotmail.com

import java.util.*;

public class Test {

    public static void main ( String [] args) {
        new Test();

    }

    public Test () {
      System.out.println("in Test constructor");
    }
}