compiling Kaffe statically?

Patrick Tullmann tullmann at cs.utah.edu
Wed Dec 5 11:36:46 PST 2001

> I am attempting to run Kaffe on a simulator that doesn't support
> shared libraries.  I configured with the --with-staticlib and
> --with-staticvm options and compiled it.  However, when I try to run
> the VM it is looking for the libnative library.

With libtool, "libnative.la" is just a text file telling the libtool
code in Kaffe what to do.  So, you need to include those text files in
your simulator environment.  The text files (should) indicate that the
"library" is statically linked and the libtool code will get on with
it.  I don't recall if the paths are hardcoded in Kaffe or if its looks
through the LD_LIBRARY_PATH for those libraries...

The oskit build of Kaffe is fully statically linked, but has to
include the .la files in the kernel image.  Look at
config/i386/oskit/mkimage.sh for hints.

-Pat

Pat Tullmann                                       tullmann at cs.utah.edu
		Your research fills a much needed gap.