Runtime Error

Steve Fernandez franline at eth.net
Fri Mar 9 18:25:35 PST 2001

"Edouard G. Parmelan" wrote:

> Steve Fernandez wrote:
>
> >        I obtained Kaffe version 1.0.5 (Java version 1.1) and Guavac
> >    version 1.2 from the Potato distribution of Debian (one which I am
> >    currently running). I installed them both. Normal applications in Java
> >    compile and run fine, Applets compile, but fail to run, displaying the
> >    following error message :-
>
> Kaffe-1.0.5 is an _old_ release, you should upgrade to 1.0.6 or better
> use the CVS Tree.
>
> You can fetch kaffe-1.0.6-1.1 from unstable
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/interpreters/kaffe.html
>
> but you need to download new version of kjc from
> http://egp.free.fr/kaffe
>
> >        steve at AMD~/Java#kaffe ButtonTest.java
> >
> >        java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: ButtonTest/ java
> >            at java.lang.Throwable.<init>(Throwable.java:38)
> >            at java.lang.Error
> >            at java.lang.LinkageError
> >            at java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
> >
> >        need I install any additional packages? Please do help.
>
> To run an applet, you must create an html file with <applet> tag.
> Then, run appletviewer foobar.html.
> --
> Edouard G. Parmelan
> http://egp.free.fr

    Thanks for the URLs. I will take care of upgradation. I was able to
run
all my applets using a HTML file. As far as I know, there are three
methods to
run an applet;

1. Using an HTML file (as you have described)
2. Including the applet tag inside the .java file (as comments) and
running
"appletviewer filename.java"
3. Including the appled tag inside the .java file (as comments) and
running
"java filename.java"

    The first two methods work in Linux, and the third does not. But,
all
three methods work under Windoze!!!!! (Not that I like Windoze very
much, but
this has got nothing to do with Windoze, it must be a feature of the JDK
for
Windoze......)

    Thanks for the help once again.

Regards,