What's the thread model on Linux?

Kero van Gelder kero at d4050.upc-d.chello.nl
Wed May 23 09:38:05 PDT 2001

> >   But what I found is that kaffe cannot even support 200 users.
>
> Interesting!  Only the unix-jthreads code gets tested and used a lot,
> so I wouldn't be too surprised that unix-pthreads can't keep up with
> unix-jthreads.  In any event, the unix-pthreads code should be able to
> support more than 200 threads.  It could very well be a simple problem
> in the unix-pthread code.

pthread is buggy, at least up to glibc 2.1 on each linux distro I used
(RH, SuSE, debian stable). I get deadlocks on a test-program I had to
write for work (not related to kaffe at all). This is known and I got
the advice to upgrade to glibc 2.2.

I did that on one system (debian
stable -> progeny), but still got a deadlock, be it in the longest run
of the test-program ever (didn't do any further tests).

YMMV,
Kero.

+--- Kero ----------------------- k.vangelder at chello.nl ---+
|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------------------ http://huizen.dds.nl/~kero ---+