[kaffe] Some obscure(?) problem...

Dalibor Topic robilad@yahoo.com
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 18:17:27 +0200

On Monday 22 April 2002 16:56, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi Jukka,
>
> --- Jukka Santala <jsantala@tml.hut.fi> wrote:
> > Altough the debug log is in parts little different,
> > the latest Xsmiles
> > release (0.5) appears to exhibit same problem with
> > the recent Kaffe
> > desktop edition versions. I'll take a closer look if
> > I have time, but as
> > usual, if this rings a bell to anyone, particularily
> > in regards to the
> > latest modifications around this year, let me know.
> > (Or fix it;)
>
> Latest modifications ? Hm ... it may have something to
> do with my Class.newInstance change from Sat Mar 16
> 09:45:43 PST 2002. You might want to back that out and
> see if it fixes your problems. I'll download xsmiles
> 0.5 and have a look, too.

hm, after playing with xsmiles 0.5 today I think I have found the problem=
:
While running the static initializer of=20
java.lang.Character$CharacterProperties we load a resource using an URL,=20
which in turn uses the XURLStreamHandlerFactory, and that one eventually=20
performs String operations that use the not fully initialized=20
CharacterProperties. The method used in CharacterProperties, getIndex, us=
es=20
the length of the static field rangeStart, that is not initialized yet at=
=20
that moment. bingo.

and now I'm off to create a patch,

dalibor topic