Building Kaffe with GTK AWT

Marc Haisenko marc.haisenko at software-for-people.com
Fri Apr 12 08:15:10 PDT 2002

Hi folks,
	I'm developing a STB using Linux on which we run a Java AWT app. Because of
space saving issues we'd like to get rid of X Window and use the framebuffer
instead. Now, GTK can be compiled to use the FB instead of X, and I've read
that Kaffe can be compiled to use GTK as the underlying layering for AWT,
thus making Kaffe able to run Java AWT apps on the framebuffer.

My problem is, I can't find any instructions on how to actually compile Kaffe
to use GTK instead of X. I've downloaded and untarred Kaffe 1.0.6 and
gtkawt.tar.gz, copied the content into the Kaffe source tree and am now
puzzled with how to go on. There seems to be no switch in the configure
script and there seems to be not a single document about this, not in the
source, not on the Kaffe web site and according to Google not on the net at
all.

So, can somebody give me the needed hints ? Or is the GTK AWT dead ? If so,
does someone know of an alternative to get an AWT for the Linux framebuffer ?

Thnx a lot,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko