[kaffe] Some obscure(?) problem...

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 23 09:17:27 PDT 2002

On Monday 22 April 2002 16:56, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Hi Jukka,
>
> --- Jukka Santala <jsantala at tml.hut.fi> wrote:
> > Altough the debug log is in parts little different,
> > the latest Xsmiles
> > release (0.5) appears to exhibit same problem with
> > the recent Kaffe
> > desktop edition versions. I'll take a closer look if
> > I have time, but as
> > usual, if this rings a bell to anyone, particularily
> > in regards to the
> > latest modifications around this year, let me know.
> > (Or fix it;)
>
> Latest modifications ? Hm ... it may have something to
> do with my Class.newInstance change from Sat Mar 16
> 09:45:43 PST 2002. You might want to back that out and
> see if it fixes your problems. I'll download xsmiles
> 0.5 and have a look, too.

hm, after playing with xsmiles 0.5 today I think I have found the problem:
While running the static initializer of
java.lang.Character$CharacterProperties we load a resource using an URL,
which in turn uses the XURLStreamHandlerFactory, and that one eventually
performs String operations that use the not fully initialized
CharacterProperties. The method used in CharacterProperties, getIndex, uses
the length of the static field rangeStart, that is not initialized yet at
that moment. bingo.

and now I'm off to create a patch,