Compiling class library with less memory (was: Re: [kaffe] java errors)

Dalibor Topic robilad at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 12 01:35:24 PDT 2002

Ciao Fabel, hi Jim,

--- FAbel <klm at lmib.org> wrote:
> On Friday 09 August 2002 12:03, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> > Workaround for now : use jikes. But I'd definitely
> > like to see some proposals on the issue.
> >

> I'm not lucky these days, I've tried with jikes
> 1.16, but I think it leaks
> memory because in the middle of the compilation it
> goes out of memory 64MB of
> ram and 256MB of swap.

You should definitely report that to the jikes
developers.

> Now I've compiled with success kaffe-1.0.7 on arm
> and I'll test it on my yopy.

Hm, you could also try to remove the memory constraint
in rebuildLib.in, and reconfigure:

                # Limit heap to 32M in an attempt to
get it to
                # compile on machines with limited
memory
                JAVA="$JAVA -verbosegc -mx 32M -ms
30M"

Remove the part with -mx and -ms.

Given that you have 64MB of memory, and 256MB of swap,
it should definitely compile in 300+ MB.

Jim, can I remove the memory constraint for now, as
long as we have compilation breakage, and don't have a
better solution than to compile all classes at once?

best regards,