[kaffe] Re: GNU Classpath java.util.zip patch - To Merge Or Not To Merge

Mark and Janice Juszczec juszczec@hotmail.com
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 22:59:54 +0000

Hello all,

Dalibor wrote:

>What conclusions should we draw? Here are mine:
>
>* pro:
>- fixes large bunch of cygwin problems
>- works without much slowdown on i386-linux-jit3
>
>* contra:
>- delays program startup on arm-linux-jit by at least
>30 seconds.
>- delays program startup on arm-linux-intrp by more
>than a minute.
>- uses more memory than native zip solution, between
>2~6 MB.
...snip...

>If you're an embedded or cygwin developer/user, I'd
>like to hear your opinion.

Won't hurt anything on x86.

I can't use it for my mipsel-linux pda.  Even 2Mb is way to much memory for
me to sacrifice.

Bear in mind I'm on a Helio, a lower end pda from a few years ago.  I'm not
sure what current platforms have available.

Mark

http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf