[kaffe] Kaffe VC++

Dalibor Topic robilad@yahoo.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:50:39 -0800 (PST)

--- TK <tk@dynomotion.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a VC++ 6.0 version
> that compiles?

Not really, AFAIK. You may get lucky by playing with
stuff from kaffe-msvc directory in the CVS, but I
doubt it works. I don't think anyone really maintained
it.

My plan is to use cccl Microsoft Visual C++ wrapper
from http://cccl.sf.net and Cygwin to configure and
compile using MSVC++, but I haven't tried yet.
Compilation using Cygwin's gcc works for me, but you
should apply the zip patch from
http://www.kaffe.org/~robilad/zip-replacement-patch.tgz
and move the new Klasses.jar.boostrap file into
libraries/javalib . Then setting CC to cccl might
work. Check out cccl's web site for more information
about it. If you get it to work, please post a short
message how you did it.

It compiles & runs under Cygwin. If you absolutely
need VC++ then you'll have to take a look at cccl, I
guess, or create project files from Makefile.am using
am2msdev, available at
ftp://ftp.slac.stanford.edu/users/pfkeb/automake/ . I
didn't try am2msdev yet, so I can't tell you how well
it works with kaffe's makefiles. If you try it, please
post your results on the list.

> I'm a Windows and TI DSP (C6x) programmer and my
> goal is to attempt a
> basic port to the C6x, but I need to get something
> to run under VC++ so
> I can familiarize myself with the code.

Cool. I'd suggest using Cygwin as the fastest way to
get the code up and running, and checking out the
other tools (cccl, am2msdev) if you really want/need
to use Microsoft's compiler.

best regards,