[kaffe] tuning kaffe to do well on volanomark in embedded systems?

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Wed Jan 1 02:46:02 PST 2003

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I just built kaffe-1.0.7 updated to cvs libtools (see my previous post)
>> to run on a PPC750 linux embedded system with 128MB of RAM.
>> ...  Any suggestions for how to speed up and trim down
>> kaffe?
>

> Er, just noticed http://www.kaffe.org/pipermail/kaffe/2002-July/008529.html
> aka http://www.kaffe.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/kaffe/FAQ/FAQ.embedded

OK, following the suggestions there, I made this change to my
outer Makefile:

==== //ixos/dap/linux/3rdParty/kaffe/Makefile.in#1 -
/home/dank/wk/ixos/dap/linux/3rdParty/kaffe/Makefile.in ====
35c35,42
<       set -e; cd @IXIA_PORTARCH@; $(ACENV) ../$(NAME)/configure --enable-debug --without-x
--build=@IXIA_BUILDARCH@ --host=@IXIA_K_ARCH@-unknown-linux --prefix=/opt/kaffe
---
 >       set -e; cd @IXIA_PORTARCH@; $(ACENV) ../$(NAME)/configure --without-x
--build=@IXIA_BUILDARCH@ --host=@IXIA_K_ARCH@-unknown-linux --prefix=/opt/kaffe \
 >       --disable-debug \
 >       --disable-xprofiling \
 >       --disable-xdebugging \
 >       --disable-feedback \
 >       --without-profiling \
 >       --without-stats \
 >       --disable-gcj

This did seem to increase speed noticably, but oddly, it *increased*
memory consumption.  I can now only run 7 rooms instead of 10 before
running out of RAM.   Here's the memory usage (RSS) as reported by top:

rooms  client server
1       10     12
2       15     19
3       21     24
4       27     31
5       33     38
7       45     52

And since there's only 100MB free, any more than that and I'm out of RAM.

I suppose I should repeat the memory usage tests on x86
to make sure there's nothing funny about my setup.
And again with Blackdown's JVM; it'd be interesting to see
how much RAM they need for this.  (I know it's a lot less.)

- Dan

--
Dan Kegel
Linux User #78045