[kaffe] Embedded use (Zip libs, Qt etc.)

Jukka Santala jsantala at morphine.tml.hut.fi
Tue Dec 17 05:39:52 PST 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Chris Gray wrote:
> All the free VMs are in a sense rivals, but we are friendly rivals, and we
> are free to learn from one another. I see some developers who are fiercely
> loyal to one VM, and others who are happy to experiment with two or more:
> so let us rejoice that we are so many.

Well, I did not really intend to start a VM architechture war, just noted
that Kaffe's working/feature compliancy on desktops or being free software
are no longer it's unique main selling points. Our lab has put some effort
into Kaffe, and intends to continue doing so (because it does what we want
it to, and did before anybody else did), but I wanted some sort of
assuration that embedded/restricted environment use continues to be a
consideration for Kaffe before we commit to more.

Aside: If you're so "friendly rivals", why has practically every
"sales-pitch" (Agressive lobbying for specific solution on mailing-lists
etc.) for Wonka I've seen so far attacked Kaffe? To my mind, it reflects
badly on Wonka that it cannot stand on its own merits, but has to take
into degrading other VM's. We've still been persuaded to take a look at it
couple of times, and altough no doubt a great VM, it hasn't so far
provided what we need (Standards compliant and nearly complete AWT which
can support Swing on very light GUI library, Xalan/Xerces operation etc.
and all this on restricted devices existing and yet to come).

 -Jukka Santala