[kaffe] Re: Kaffe and MIPS CPUs

Mark and Janice Juszczec juszczec@hotmail.com
Tue, 09 Jul 2002 19:05:56 +0000

Hello all

Since there have been some posts about Kaffe and MIPS, I thought I'd let
everyone know what I'm up to.  A side project a work has me trying to
compile Kaffe v1.0.7 to run on a Helio pda.  It runs
a 75MHz Philips R3912 little endian mips processor.

In order to get the hang of cross compiling something as large and involved
as Kaffe, I decided to start by compiling v1.0.5.  Its runs on MIPS, since I
downloaded the binary and libraries from kaffe.org.

I build the cross compile toolchain out of:

binutils-2.11.90.0.25
glibc-2.2.3
gcc-3.0.1

After some trial and error, I've come up with the following configure call:

CC=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/gcc
LD=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/ld
NM=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/nm
AR=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/ar RANLIB=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/ranlib
STRIP=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/strip CXX=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/gcc
AS=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/bin/as
KAFFEH=/usr/bin/kaffeh
../kaffe-1.0.5/configure --target=mipsel-linux --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--with-includes=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/include
--with-libraries=/usr/local/mipsel-linux/lib --with-engine=jit3
--cache-file=../helio.config.cache.working.1.0.5.v4

This compiles up to kaffe/kaffevm/jit3/machine.c which chokes on
config/i386/trampolines.c giving:

/tmp/ccB9xikZ.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccB9xikZ.s:12663: Error: unrecognized opcode `call
soft_fixup_trampoline'
/tmp/ccB9xikZ.s:12665: Error: unrecognized opcode `popl %ecx'
/tmp/ccB9xikZ.s:12667: Error: unrecognized opcode `jmp *%eax'

I don't have a mips assembly reference handy, but I'm guessing this file
contains some intel assemble code that needs to be rewritten.

I'm more concerned that I'm compiling something that lives in config/i386.
Is this an error in my config?

Jim, thanks for the reference to the Pocketlinux stuff.  I'll do some
comparisons and see if anything suggests itself.

Mark