[kaffe] RFC: Verifier API (was: 1.1.0 development release + ideas)
robilad at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 5 03:45:16 PDT 2002
I'd like to see more flexibility regarding
* A class kaffe.verifier.VerifierManager.
* A property kaffe.verifier
* An interface kaffe.verifier.VerifierPlugin
* A set of classes for supported verifiers that
VerifierPlugin declares a method
boolean verify(byte class_data, int pass).
When it's initialized, VerifierManager checks a
property kaffe.verifier for the verifier plugin class
Kaffe's system class loader should upon loading a
class call the VerifierManager.verify(byte
class_data) method. Verify would call the method
verify(byte class_data, int pass) in the loaded
verifier plugin and return its result.
There would be verifier plugin classes for kaffe's own
verifier, justIce, jode, sun's javaverify etc. They
would invoke the underlying verifier with appropriate
(Kaffe's own verifier plugin would of course invoke
the C code in the virtual machine.)
What's so good about it:
* it turns kaffe into a nice platform for verifier
research & implementation.
* it offers more verifier options.
* with justIce being a full verifier implementation,
kaffe can be integrated into mozilla more safely.
What's bad about it:
* it could turn attention away from backporting
pocketlinux verifier to kaffe (which is better than
the one kaffe has now, but still not a full verifier,
as far as I know).
* pure java verifiers may not be as fast as C
Do You Yahoo!?
Sign up for SBC Yahoo! Dial - First Month Free
More information about the kaffe